On Episode 26 of the #AskSteveAustin Podcast, David Hayward (The Naked Pastor) joins Steve Austin to talk about dealing with theological anxiety. Why would a pastor of 30 years choose to walk away from church? We’ll talk about this and so much more in this can’t-miss episode of the show.
Join the Exclusive #AskSteveAustin Facebook Community for as little as $1 per month! Details at patreon.com/iamsteveaustin
- What is deconstruction? “When the earth under our feet seems to be shaking uncontrollably and we need this (whatever this word is) to try and describe that our heads are going to explode and we’re going to die and go to the hell we aren’t sure exists anymore, it’s nice to have a word to hold onto.” – David Hayward, The Lasting Supper
- Who are the “nones”?
- “We have been taught to obsess over what we believe until it makes us physically sick, due to mental anguish.”
- James Fowler, “Stages of Faith” book.
- Dealing with questions and doubts – and the fear that surrounds them.
- Facing the devastating fears that all this might not be true is scary as hell. What do you do now?
- “Don’t worry about what you believe. I personally don’t think Jesus ever threatened people with judgment about what they believed. Jesus wasn’t a professional theologian. He was a mystic and a teacher. He was most concerned with what people said and did. Not what they thought or believed.”
- What do you do in the early days of deconstruction when you feel all alone?
- What do you do when you get asked the questions you can’t or don’t want to answer?
- The problem with arguments? Words. It’s our choice of language that seems to divides us.
- The level of intimacy we’ve had with people in the church isn’t normal or healthy.
- The importance of self-love, self-care, and self-compassion during deconstruction.
- What is the TLS Community and how can I get involved? www.thelastingsupper.com
- Send David your questions! firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Austin is a life coach, speaker, and author of Self-Care for the Wounded Soul. Steve’s goal is to help you create a lifestyle of focused emotional health and clarity. Looking for more ways to create space? Subscribe to Steve Austin’s free weekly newsletter by clicking right here.
You can also listen on iTunes or Podbean.
David Hayward was baptized Anglican as a baby, came to faith in a Baptist church when he was a teenager, changed to Pentecostal in his late teens, married another Pentecostal named Lisa, was ordained Presbyterian, pastored a Vineyard church, and planted others.
David started a blog callednakedpastor in 2006, and initiated his public analysis of religion, religious community and spirituality through his writings, art and cartoons. Thousands of people are challenged and entertained by nakedpastor every day. He also launched an online community called The Lasting Supper where people can learn and live spiritual independence.
Looking for more?
Check out Steve Austin’s brand-new weekly feature, “Who Are You?” A combination of affirmation, Christian meditation, contemplation, and prayer. Week One is live now and it’s all about LOVE. Click here to listen.