Podcast: Play in new window | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | | More
On Episode 61 of the #AskSteveAustin Podcast, Steve sits down with Jamie Wright, author of the new bestseller, The Very Worst Missionary: A Memoir or Whatever. *Warning: if you’re a prude, you may want to skip this episode (or it could be exactly what you need). Jamie is the perfect balance of faithful and foul – listen at your own risk.
The Very Worst Missionary: A Memoir or Whatever, began as a blog, to chronical everyday dumbness, hilarious ineptitudes, and downright disasters of a wannabe world-changer who some days would rather just stay in bed. When to her surprise, her blog wins a large and passionate following (including Steve Austin), she begins to see that maybe a “bad” missionary – awkward, doubtful, and bare-butt honest – is exactly what the world and throngs of American do-gooders need.
This book will NOT take “a literary dump on your soul,” like Jamie says is possible. But it WILL, in parts, cause you to throw your head back and belly laugh. In the foreword of this book, here’s what Jen Hatmaker says, “…this broken down world and our busted-up human hearts deserve better than a list of rules and a church that emphasizes fitting in over true belonging.” (Be sure to listen to the entire episode for a chance to win 1 of 3 copies of this fantastic new book!)
Author Jamie Wright is a writer and speaker best known for her snarky faith and lifestyle blog, The Very Worst Missionary. As a passionate advocate for missions reform and humanitarian aid that is sensible, meaningful, and enduring, she has traveled the world sharing her experience with churches, nonprofits, and universities. She procrastinates in Northern California, where she lives with her family, two dumb dogs, and an evil cat. For more information please visit www.theveryworstmissionary.com
- Support Steve’s Kickstarter for Catching Your Breath, at KickstartMyBook.com
- Theological shifts
- Book writing
- Becoming The Very Worst Missionary
- Steve’s short-term missions trips
- The truth about missions agencies
- Where you come from matters
- “God will not be swallowed like a pill to cure the herpes of your soul…”
- Jamie’s experience with mental illness
- Remaining faithful while having doubts
- How do we encourage honesty and vulnerability in our children?
- What is it about the truth that makes people so uncomfortable?
- For those of us post-Evangelical Christianity, what happened? Did the church change? Did we? Where do we go from here?
- Jamie’s least-favorite Christianese phrases
- Do you believe the Church of Jesus Christ is the Hope of the World?
- How should we respond to people who disagree with us theologically?
- Why are you still such a passionate follower of Jesus, even though you’re obviously a terrible missionary?
- “Gettin’ Our Church On,” by the Drew Hale Band.
- “Not Crazy,” by Act of Congress ActOfCongressMusic.com
Follow Jamie Wright on Twitter and Facebook. Get the book here.
Follow Steve Austin on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and his blog.
Support Steve’s Kickstarter for his upcoming book, Catching Your Breath: The Sacred Journey from Chaos to Calm, by going to KickstartMyBook.com today!